You can find all sorts of data and information on the Web Network, whilst also providing people with a medium to communicate with others. Since the first network was established decades ago, the Internet has come a long way today. With so many people having access to the internet, maintaining your online privacy has become a difficult task. This is where the Tor Browser is useful.
What is Tor?
Originally named The OnionRouter, Tor browser provides you internet accessibility while also maintaining your anonymity on the internet. You can find more about how to download TOR and what functions the Tor provides in this article. The Tor was launched as a free software in 2002 to ensure that a person’s online activities are well hidden from the world and it would be difficult to track his location down.
The whole software was based on encryption and layering. It ensures that your IP Address is encrypted and the online data you send or receive is transferred through a number of circuits. This characteristic ensures that the privacy of the user is maintained on the internet while the information relayed is as reliable as it gets.
Besides the points mentioned above, the Tor also has a number of other features which improves the whole network.
How Beneficial is Tor?
- In order to ascertain the identity of the sender and receipent of the data being transferred, a from of internet surveillance, “Traffic Analysis”is used. People can track these form of internet surveillence to track your identity and online activities. Tor helps to prevent such leaks in a public network by ensuring that your whole transaction is encrypted on its own network and distributed via a number of relays, making it difficult for anyone to track it down. Tor is very useful as it can help to protect the way the information is transported on the internet. However, any hacker can still identify the data you sent out on the internet with a well-timed attack.
- The Tor browser is available as a free download on a number of different Operating Systems such as OSX or Linux. It helps in prevention of information being leaked or hacked by ensuring that hackers don’t get access to your geographical location. Aditionally, Tor also provides you with a way around the censoring and website blocks that happens on the internet.
- For users who are pondering over the question of How to download Tor, it is available as a free download from their official website. For the most optimum performance levels, you would need to download the one for your own operating system.
How can you Download the Tor Browser?
To download the Tor Browser, head over to their official website – The Tor Project; Select your Operating system and language and download the browser for free.
DownloadingTor Browser for MAC OS X
- Visit the official website of the Tor Project and select the operating system as Mac OSX.
- Now, Download and save the file on your computer.
- Next, open the file in .dmg format. Drag the file to the Applications folder. This will open the Tor browser on your PC. You don’t need to physically install the software on your device.
Downloading Tor Browser for Linux
You can use any of the two following commands to run the file after saving it.
- If you running the 32-bit version:tar -xvJf Tor-browser-linux32-7.0.2_LANG.tar.xz
- For users using the 64-bit version: tar -xvJf Tor-browser-linux64-7.0.2_LANG.tar.xz
- To switch to the Tor Browser after by running: cd Tor-browser_LANG
- Additionally, you can run the Tor Browser by clicking on the Tor Browser Icon.
DownloadingTor Browser for Windows
- Double click on the downloaded file to start the browser.
- Select the language you want to choose, click on the ‘Run’ option and click ‘OK’
- The installation process will take a few seconds after clicking
- You can launch the Browser as soon as you click on ‘Finish’.
- Select the “Connect” option on the Tor Browser’s Wizard.
- You can now access the Tor Browser through the icon or the saved location.
The Tor Browser helps you to access Tor sites which are inaccessible by normal web browsers. The web you know today is divided into two parts – Surface Web and Deep/Dark Web.
This forms the part of the internet which you can easily access through regular search engines or normal web browsers.
Deep Web/ Dark Web
To access the Deep Web, you would need the help of Tor Browser as it is not accessible by regular browsers and consists of multiple deep websites and deep web marketplaces which are well hidden. The data on the Deep web is not indexed by normal search engines and hence, it is invisible to others.
The Last Words
The Tor Browser is required to access the Deep web. However, you need to be careful while on the Deep web as it is home to a number of criminal activities.