Home Business Your A-Z Guide in Understanding Desiccant Dehumidifiers

Your A-Z Guide in Understanding Desiccant Dehumidifiers

135
0
SHARE

Dehumidification is an essential process for many industries to create the manufacturing environment for acceptable quality standards of their products. But your choice of dehumidifiers can dent the efficiency of your production lines and cost equations. Often a dehumidifier installation can force a change to your existing operational setup.

Thus, for industries looking for a cost and energy efficient solution, desiccant dehumidifier is a perfect choice. These dehumidifiers have low maintenance and can be customized according to the requirements of the user. Desiccant dehumidifiers use a chemical known as the desiccant to remove moisture from the air. The desiccant helps in achieving the correct amount of dryness required in the air for production of standard quality products.

Elements of Desiccant Dehumidifier

  • Desiccant: It is the most essential component of a desiccant dehumidifier. The desiccant is a chemical which adsorbs moisture from the air. There are various types of desiccants such as- Silica Gel, Clay, Gypsum, Quicklime and Aluminosilicates. The performance of these desiccants varies on the basis on temperature and humidity levels. The desiccant can also release the moisture adsorbed when heated. The release of the adsorbed water is crucial for effective functioning of the desiccant dehumidifier. It is important to check the physical and chemical properties of desiccant.
  • Rotating Drum: The rotating drum is as broad as the product. It comprises sequential layers of corrugated and flat sheets that are infused with desiccant. The sheets are organized in a manner that there is a perpendicular flow of air with respect to the rotor. The drum helps in removing moisture from the incoming air.
  • Heater: The main function of heater is to heat the rotating drum in the recharge zone and remove the absorbed moisture out of it.
  • Blowers: The blowers allow the movement of air throughout the system. Many of the desiccant dehumidifiers have a blower at the posterior of the product. Its primary function is to pull air from the front portion of the dehumidifier and discard it through the top/back of dehumidifier. Various units are also equipped with small blowers that circulate the air which is passed through the desiccant drum.

How Desiccant Dehumidifier works

The desiccant rotating drum is divided in two zones – a process and a recharge zone. The process zone takes up off 75% of the total rotor area and the recharge zone covers the remaining 25%. The humid air that is pulled in the dehumidifier is pushed to the process zone. In the process zone the desiccant material adsorbs the moisture from the air. The air goes through the process zone and is immediately exhausted out of the dehumidifier.

A heater covers the recharge zone of the rotor. It heats the recharge air and pass through the rotor in a counter direction. The heated air liberates moisture content in the desiccant.

Factors affecting performance of the Dehumidifier

  • Air Velocity: The increase in amount of air flow in the dehumidifiers, increases its adsorption rate. As with high amount of air high moisture also enters the equipment. If the air velocity is low the performance of dehumidifier declines.
  • Amount of Desiccant: Increase in amount of desiccant enhances the moisture adsorption capacity of the instrument.
  • Thickness of the Desiccant Bed: With the increase in thickness of the desiccant bed the air flow becomes harder. Thus, reducing the amount of moisture absorption of the dehumidifier.

Choosing the dehumidifier which aligns itself best with the industries’ requirement is essential. Different stages of manufacturing require consistent humidity conditions and moisture control. The desiccant dehumidifiers offer a productive and efficient solution to moisture menace.